A local non-profit organization (22 full-time employees) is searching for an Accountant to fill a much needed vacancy. Currently this position is divided up between several individuals and they would definitely like to centralize the accounting and other functions. The employees there are very dedicated and wear many hats.
This position needs an individual with a solid accounting background. 5+ years’ experience would be ideal. There are some A/P and A/R responsibilities, but they are minimal. The payroll is outsourced, but would eventually like to bring that back in-house at some point in the future. Some HR functions might be needed. This is an opportunity with exposure to many different skills and help an organization in our community.
Listed below are the job responsibilities, the accounting piece is the most important; you may have a hand in doing some of the other functions (based on workload). There will be training in areas that you are not familiar with.
Supervision Received - Reports to the Executive Director
Essential Tasks, Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepare monthly financial statements using accrual method.
- Prepare cash flow projections.
- Manage and perform all grant reporting ensuring accuracy and timeliness. Track the status of each grant monthly.
- Manages the external accounting audit working closely with CPA and providing all requested statements, schedules, and support.
- Prepare, maintain, and report annual budget. Provide monthly variance analysis.
- Provide long range forecasts.
- Processes all accounts payable, accounts receivable, and other transactions.
- Reconciles all bank accounts and balance sheet accounts to prove accuracy monthly.
- Manage fixed asset register including additions, disposals, depreciation and reconciliation to GL.
- Manage all Human Resource requirements ensuring that the organization is in compliance with all applicable labor laws.
- Maintain employee personnel records while demonstrating strictest confidentiality.
- Prepare staff payroll on a bi-weekly basis. Remit all tax deposits and submit all payroll tax returns.
- Provide administrative and accounting support to fundraising efforts.
- Procure, manage, and service liability, property, workers’ compensation, and healthy insurance policies.
- Manages all office functions such as supplies and equipment contracts.
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Maintains strictest confidentiality.
- Other tasks, duties and/or responsibilities as assigned.
Position Requirements – Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough understanding of generally accepted accounting principles.
- Knowledge of financial and accounting software applications.
- Exercise a high degree of initiative.
- Proven, strong Excel skills.
- Ability to communicate skillfully and concisely both verbally and in writing.
- Attention to detail is essential.
- Adept in identifying and resolving problems.
- Skill in working effectively and efficiently with co-workers in a team environment.
- There are benefits with this position and the plans can be provided to interested candidates.